Join us at Ball State University for great colleagues, valuable training, on-going professional development, and an opportunity to invest in students' success.
Multiple positions available.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement intentional learning experiences through implementation of the Residential Curriculum in two residence halls.
- Advise, counsel, and establish rapport with students to assist them in adjusting to residence hall living in particular and college life in general. Assist students in developing healthy relationships with their roommate and the residence hall community in general. Refer residents to appropriate University or Community resources.
- Collaborate with the Residential Learning Team in developing inclusive residential learning communities. This position must demonstrate an effort to understand their individual and collective role in creating inclusive environments and ensuring a framework of equity and justice is embedded in their day-to-day work. Promote equity through the (1) identification and removal of barriers; (2) facilitation of learning, (3) cultivation of community, and (4) empowerment of people.
- Select, train, advise and supervise six to eight Resident Assistants; train, advise and supervise Assistant Residential Learning Coordinator.
- Exercise general supervision over main hall desk operation for two halls; coordinate student related programs for two residence hall desk operations in two halls.
- Hire, train, and supervise twelve to sixteen student desk employees for two halls.
- Work with supervised staff to develop and implement policies and procedures to insure healthy and safe environment; build and maintain an atmosphere to promote self-discipline and respect for others through upholding and enforcing university policies.
- Perform administrative duties to maintain an efficient, functioning residence hall; tasks include assigning rooms; controlling keys; maintaining records; and preparing necessary requisitions and reports for other university departments.
- Respond to emergency situations in an efficient and effective manner to ensure the safety and well-being of residents.
- Monitor the condition of facilities; recommend repairs or alterations as needed.
- Support and advise hall council and other student groups regarding planning, budgeting, and implementing student experiential learning activities.
- Participate in the overall planning of the total residence hall program; work closely with other housing area personnel in carrying out programs and services; support the development of budget requests.
- Establish relationships with other departments within Student Affairs and the university; assume a leadership position within the department through committee work, activities, liaison work with other departments, and professional and staff in-service activities.
- Teach academic course for students interested in student affairs work in residence halls.
- Work irregular hours; may be called upon to respond to hall events and emergencies as needed. Serve in on-call duty rotation for a designated area on a regularly scheduled basis.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.