Duties and Responsibilities:
- Willingness and commitment to work with the Academy’s high school students regarding the following areas: be a positive role model and example to others; protection and safety of all residents of the building; addressing conflict resolution; addressing all behavior concerns and problems; counseling and referrals; encourage students to do community activities and events; facilitate recreational and/or intramural activities; communicate maintenance needs to the Administrative Coordinator and Associate Director of Residential and Student Affairs; work with teachers and Academic Affairs in supporting students in academic endeavors; work with, assist, and help support other areas of the school like Student Health Care and Mental Health and Support services; know all students by name that reside on appropriate floor by first midterm.
- Assess and provide feedback to students regarding residence life coping skills.
- Provide supervision of students; be timely, effective, and consistent in confronting and re-directing behaviors that are contradictory to the mission and the goals of the Academy with confidence and consistency.
- Participate in the orientation program and student retention efforts.
- Participate in staff training and development sessions.
- Supervise one or two Academy Student Peer Assistants.
- Provide programming for the residence hall: responsible for 10 programs/activities per semester; plan, organize, and implement weekend activities a few times per semester; support Peer Assistants in planning and implementing programs for individual floors.
- Enforce all Academy regulations and policies.
- Communicate regularly and be an effective resource to students, parents, teachers, and other professional staff.
- Keep all documentation up to date and professional.
- Complete various desk duties, rounds, check-ins and curfew checks as part of daily residential operations.
- Work cooperatively with floor co-professionals and team leaders.
- Perform duties as assigned and scheduled by the Director of Residential and Student Affairs and/or the Associate Director of Residential and Student Affairs, including Staff Meetings/Staff Development once a week; individual meetings with Associate Director of Student Life once per semester; meetings with team leader to plan team programming; be responsible for an extra duty assisting the Department of Residential and Student Affairs.
- Transport students in cases of emergency, athletic practices, and general transportation needs as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
At Ball State University, we recognize inclusive excellence as an integral endeavor to fulfill our University’s mission and our strategic plan. We recruit, support, and retain a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff. We encourage and reward diversity of thought. We promote a work environment that encourages and rewards innovation and creativity. We pledge to keep Inclusive Excellence at the highest level of institutional importance and as a foundation in all that we strive to do. Our over-arching goal for Inclusive Excellence is to adopt a university-wide Inclusive Excellence approach to academic, administrative support, and service functions of the university. We believe Inclusive Excellence must be infused in every step we take.