The Field Intelligence Element (FIE) researches, designs, and delivers scientific tools and methodologies to inform decision-making regarding the most challenging security, risk, and resilience problems. As a multidisciplinary national laboratory, Argonne offers an exciting atmosphere in which to collaborate on interdisciplinary projects that focus on complex technical problems and integrated application of natural, social, and computer science practices.
To support our research mission, the FIE is seeking a GIS Systems Administrator to assist with our growing National Security work to include an expanding portfolio leveraging GIS platforms and data sets.
In this position, you will:
- Implement and maintain databases of spatial information making up enterprise GIS
- Maintain client-side and server-side GIS applications
- Organize, coordinate, maintain and upgrade system databases, software and hardware (SQL knowledge required)
- Develops automated programs to make routine database maintenance procedures more efficient
- Configures and maintains intranet/internet web-based GIS applications
- Administers GIS servers and workstations including application software upgrades and patches, and the addition and configuration of peripheral devices
- Researches and provides recommendations for computer hardware and GIS software purchases
- Establishes projected equipment and supply requirements.
- Coordinate closely with the FIE’s Information Assurance team and System Administrators.
The selected candidate will be placed in the appropriate level (PT4 or PT5) dependent upon the depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills brought to the position, as well as the amount of relevant experience. The basic requirements for the various levels are as follows:
- PT4 Level: Bachelor’s degree and 6+ years of relevant experience or equivalent
- PT5 Level: Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of relevant experience or equivalent
The selected candidates will have professional experience in developing and maintaining databases, dashboards, and decision support tools. All candidates must pass a general background check for employment and must be able to obtain up to a Q/TS-SCI level clearance. A candidate with the requisite experience and a current security clearance is preferred.
Opportunities for remote telework will be provided but candidates for this position will be expected to work on site out of the Field Intelligence Element at Argonne National Laboratory’s main campus in Lemont a minimum of three days per week.
To be considered you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, geographic information systems, or information systems and 6-10 years’ experience in systems administration or equivalent
- Significant experience with ESRI ArcGIS Enterprise
- Experience in applicable database management systems such as SQL or Oracle
- Strong project management practices and the ability to meet deadlines
- Good communication skills including the ability to translate technical information into plain language
- Self-starter who is able to execute job responsibilities under limited supervision
- U.S. citizen with an active TS/SCI clearance
- Able to work onsite at our Lemont, IL campus at minimum three days per week
- A successful candidate must have the ability to model Argonne’s Core Values: Impact, Safety, Respect, Integrity, and Teamwork.
Job FamilyProfessional Technical (PT)
Job ProfileSystems Integration Admin/Support 4
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.