The mission of the Environmental Science Division at Argonne National Laboratory is to provide pioneering fundamental and multidisciplinary research and innovative analyses to solve global to local challenges, applying our core competency in predictive environmental understanding.
You are invited to apply for a staff research position in EVS to conduct sustainable bioenergy research. In this role, you will study the effectiveness of bioenergy crops in providing biomass, extending from the local field level to the watershed and regional scale. You will also assess the effectiveness of these crops in delivering ecosystem services focused on soil health, air quality (greenhouse gas flux), water quality and quantity, and biodiversity. The position involves:
- Conducting field research to gather data for use in developing predictive data-driven models.
- Agroecosystem modeling at multiple spatial (field to watershed to regional) scales.
- Analyzing landscape approaches to bioenergy crop production.
- Presenting and publishing results in peer-reviewed reports and journal articles.
- Giving technical presentations at professional conferences.
- Actively contributing to program development activities.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of pertinent scientific literature.
Ideal candidates are expected to have:
- PhD + 0‑3 years in agronomy, crop science, environmental science, or a closely related field. (Highly qualified PhD candidates within a few months of obtaining their degree may also be considered.)
- Considerable knowledge of plant-water-nutrient relationships, soil carbon, and analytical approaches for monitoring water use and nutrient management from the local field level to the watershed scale.
- Considerable knowledge of experimental design for laboratory and field studies relevant to bioenergy crop production.
- Considerable knowledge of statistical methods for data analysis.
- Considerable experience with deploying and managing field instrumentation such as soil moisture probes, monitoring wells, crop water use instrumentation, and data loggers and sensor networks.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in teams, and to actively identify and solve problems.
- Ability to model Argonne’s core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity, and teamwork.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills
- Applicants with 3-5 years of experience conducting field research to evaluate ecosystem impacts of bioenergy crop production systems are highly preferred. Also preferred are applicants with:
- Considerable knowledge of and experience with geographic information system (GIS) methods and tools and remote sensing technologies.
- Considerable experience with outreach and extension, including interacting with individual farmers and the farming community.
- Some knowledge of biodiversity and economic analysis methods and tools and their relationship to biophysical models.
- Experience in developing and implementing research proposals.
- Good publication record
Job FamilyResearch Development (RD)
Job ProfileEnvironmental Science and Engineering 2
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Please note that all Argonne employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. All successful applicants will be required to provide their COVID-19 vaccination verification as a condition of employment, subject to limited legally recognized exemptions to COVID-19 vaccination.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.