The Laboratory for Applied Mathematics, Numerical Software, and Statistics (LANS) and the Mathematics and Computer Science (MCS) Division at Argonne National Laboratory invite candidates to apply for a postdoctoral position in the area of scientific machine learning and uncertainty quantification.
The position will address software/algorithm development and/or theory in areas of interest to the applied mathematics, numerical software, and statistics group.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to carry out simulations on some of the world's fastest supercomputers and collaborate with other computer scientists and mathematicians at the MCS division.
For more information on the applied mathematics, numerical software, and statistics group at Argonne, see https://www.anl.gov/mcs/lans
- Recent or soon-to-completed PhD (typically within the last 0-3 years) in applied mathematics, statistics, computer science, industrial engineering or related field
- Expertise in two or more of the following areas: nonlinear optimization, uncertainty quantification, scientific machine learning (SciML), stochastic optimization, statistics, and numerical solution of partial differential equations
- Knowledgeable in one or more of the following areas: software development in SciML, software development in numerical optimization, statistics, and/or development of large-scale stochastic control algorithms.
- Proficient in one scientific programming language (e.g., C, C++, Fortran, Python, or Julia) are also required
- Experience with Julia, Python, parallel computing, large-scale computational science, and simulation of networked physical systems is a plus
- Ability to model Argonne's core values of impact, respect, integrity, safety and teamwork
Job FamilyPostdoctoral Family
Job ProfilePostdoctoral Appointee
Worker TypeLong-Term (Fixed Term)
Time TypeFull time
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne's Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
Argonne is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity in our workforce. As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne prohibits discrimination or harassment based on an individual's age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.